Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wednesdays weekly winner

I thought it might be good to start reflecting once a week on what the nutritional successes were in toddler feeding and this week seems like a good one to start! I have many ups and downs each week with my cooking and rather than beat myself up for the failures I thought I’d outline the winners in the hope that they might provide inspiration for others (let’s not mention the CSIRO’s epic fail recipe – cheesy vegetable muffins).

This week we had two big winners in pumpkin lasagne and dried apricots – hurray! The apricots were a success because he was sitting in a Wiggles Big Red Car when they were offered but the pumpkin lasagne was eaten on its own merits.

I’ve learnt to make pumpkin lasagne in record time as long as I remember to roast some pumpkin earlier in the week – here’s the recipe.

Eleanor’s pumpkin lasagne
- Half a butternut pumpkin cubed and roasted
- Two handfuls of chopped baby spinach (optional)
- Fresh lasagne sheets
- Low salt tomato based pasta sauce
- B├ęchamel/white sauce or ricotta mixed with one egg and parmesan.

Preheat over to 180 degrees.

In an over-proof dish, layer the pasta sauce, spinach, pumpkin and lasagne sheets, starting with the tomato sauce. Top with b├ęchamel or ricotta mix.

Bake for around 30mins or until top of lasagne is golden brown.

I’ll be more organised and put some photos up next time!!

2 comments:

  1. That pumpkin lasagne sounds very tasty! My kids love pumpkin, so will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, Eleanor - tonight for dinner, my one-year old ate a whole bowl of pumpkin and threw his roast chicken and potato on the floor, so I would love to introduce him to pumpkin lasagna. Thanks for providing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete